Hello LWVUV Members,
Are you planning to attend our Election Methods Study Update Consensus Meeting this Thursday, Feb. 9 from 7:00-9:00? If so, please RSVP to Jenny. It will help to know how many are coming.
The following references refer to this document: Elections Methods Study 2016 (PDF)
Recommendations in reaching consensus:
- Read appendixes 4 and 5 first.
- Look at appendix 2, pages 46-7 on evaluation criteria.
- Look at the charts on pages 4, 5, and 21 for a quick overview of different electoral systems.
- Then browse through the text and read whatever captures your interest on the mechanics of specific types of voting for both single winner elections and multiple winner contests. The section on proportional representation is especially recommended as perhaps the most unfamiliar to us.
- Finally, look at chapter five (pages 42 and 43) for administrative issues around changing the current system.
If you have time to watch these three videos, that may be more helpful than reading some of the more technical passages.
- Instant Runoff Voting – Three Examples
- How Instant Runoff Voting Works – Multiple Winners
- Instant Runoff Voting Explained
At lwvor.org you’ll find a handy link right in the middle of the page. Click on ELECTION METHODS STUDY UPDATE and you’ll be taken to a page where you can click and view some short videos, and find a wealth of other info as well.
Please bring the Consensus Questions with you. Otherwise, we will have a few copies available at the meeting.